These are a very nice biscuit for breakfast. My children like them with honey and my wife puts her strawberry freezer jam on them. I like grape jam. Every once in a while I will make biscuits and gravy for me and our oldest (we’re the only ones in the family that like it) and I will serve the gravy over these. You can add some garlic powder and sharp cheddar to the recipe and have a delightful dinner biscuit.
4 C AP flour
2 t Granulated Sugar
1 1/2 t Salt
4 t Baking powder
1 t Baking soda
2 C 1% Milk
8 T Butter, melted
8 T Butter flavored shortening (like Crisco)
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees and line two standard cookie sheets with parchment paper. Use the parchment paper it works great for this recipe.
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in a medium size bowl – i like to use my Kitchen aid for this.
- Use the paddle attachment and cut the shortening into the flour. Takes about 5 minutes and in the end you should have a grainy looking flour with flecks of yellow in it.
- Add the wet ingredients and use a rubber spatula to fold them into the flour. Do not over mix the dough – it will get tough and your biscuits will be crusty and hard. When you are done the dough will tacky.
- Use a 1/4 C measure that has been sprayed with food release oil (Pam) to scoop out the biscuit dough. Drop the biscuits onto the parchment lined cookie sheets. Keep 1″ – 2″ between the biscuits.
- Bake for 16 minutes; turning the pan half way through. Tops will be light golden in color.
- Serve immediately. They have a nice butter flavor so try them with honey or jam and hold the butter.